Sunday, April 29, 2007

You've Got Mail

One thing that we talked about in class and learned about in our readings that could be related to "You've Got Mail" is the idea of 'anonymity'. Kathleen and Joe didn't know who the other one was until of course, Joe found out who Kathleen was, even thought she was still clueless. Through their e-mailing, they never even told each other their names.
This had a positive influence on their online relationship, because, had kathleen known it was Joe she was e-mailing everyday, at least near the beginning, she probably never would have e-mailed him again. Also, Joe showed through his e-mails that he wasn't as big of a jerk that he let on to be. This also may have helped Kathleen fall in love with him at the end of the movie when she found out who the man she was talking to through e-mails really was.
Another aspect of the movie that we touched on in class was bringing someone along with you when you meet someone for the first time who you've been talking to online. Joe brought his friend along when he was going to meet kathleen at the coffee shop. This was before he knew it was her, so he had his friend look in the window to see if he could see her and how she looked.
I really enjoyed watched "You've Got mail". I love Chick flicks and I had never seen this one before. I'm glad I finally got to, especially in class.

No comments: