Saturday, March 24, 2007

No internet? Unthinkable.

On Thursday I spent all day working on a paper. For some reason I saved this paper onto the “N” drive instead of into My Documents. Anyway, Thursday was the day most of campus lost electricity. I, living in Hillside, didn’t lose electricity but we did lose our internet connection.. and most importantly.. the N drive (which I still don’t have on my room computer by the way, good thing it works in the library). I was very flustered for awhile and was wondering how I was going to finish the paper, which I had already gotten an extension for in the first place. So instead of doing some other homework, that I didn’t necessarily really need the internet for, I just complained a lot.

Then yesterday I was talking to my friends about how it’s annoying that some things like YouTube and the Itunes Store, don’t work well with Titan net, and how I can’t even begin to access them when I’m at home because of having Dial Up. Then we started talking about Dial Up and how awful it would be if this college had it. I’m pretty sure that would not work well. This brought us to, what if we didn’t have the internet at all? What would we do?

This is just another thing that showed me how much we rely on this modern technology. I really cannot imagine not having it, especially at college. It’s pretty much unthinkable.

3 comments:

Rachel B. said...

I know what you mean Shauna! When the power went out on Thursday, it was like a mega-crisis for Westminster. I guess when you think about it though, there are Amish people right here in New Wilmington who go without electricity every day! As far as not having the internet, I agree that I couldn't even imagine that, and I get really annoyed too when it is down even for a couple of hours. It's funny to think that even though it's only been a part of our lives for a few years, we can't even imagine surviving nowadays without it!

Katie's Page said...

Shauna...NEVER rely on the N drive!! lol I think Westminster needs to do something about the way they work their internet, there are many things that we cant do because of titan net

Jamie Rae said...

Oh man. I feel your pain. Currently, I have no computer, and I have been bumming computer time off my friends', boyfriend's, and library's computers. It's killing me that checking email and facebook and typing papers all has to start with asking someone if I can use their computer or walking (Heaven forbid) to the library. I think we have all been spoiled with the internet and life without it would just be miserable now. It's almost too bad in some ways that we do have the internet because it seems we have become so dependent on it.