Saturday, March 17, 2007

CMC- not everywhere

The statistic in the reading that over half the worlds population has never made a phone call so therefore, well over half have never engaged in CMC, shocked me. I guess, most of the time and for some aspects of life, especially modern technology, we are just so into our own worlds that we just don’t think about others lives, especially when they are across the world. The world is so big. It is hard for me to imagine people lives in my own city, much less the state, much less our country, much less the continent, and the whole world…well I think you know what I mean.
Here we are, discussing how much we rely on CMC, and how hard it is when we don’t have it, when more than half of the people in the world have never even come close to experiencing any form of CMC. I just think it’s crazy.
I wonder if these people in other countries know what they’re missing, this “privilege” we have in CMC. But then CMC isn’t always the best thing. It has caused many problems, whether it is an online predator, online bullying, people getting fired for the things found out about them through blogging or personal websites, or just the lack of FtF communication because of always using some form of CMC.
I have never known a life without CMC, so I don’t really know how these people are feeling or how they experience life. Most of them might not even know what they are missing out on. They are probably just trying to live life to the best of their ability, just like we are, but obviously in different ways. There is life without CMC. It’s hard for me to imagine.
This blog is very rambling, so sorry for that. It’s just that I never actually really thought about many of these topics that we have been discussing until I started taking this class, and now CMC, and how much we rely on it has become so much more evident.

1 comment:

Nycee said...

Hey Shauna you pointed out some really important facts about CMC and how it's not everywhere. I couldn't agree with you more when you said that you couldn't imagine life without CMC because we have always used some type of CMC. i often wonder what people do who don't have CMC or access to CMC everyday.