The other day I was watching "The Breakup" with Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaughn. There was a part in the movie when Jennifer Anistons character decided she needed to quit her job and travel. She was telling her boss about her plans and her boss (who was very "modern") said something along the lines of keep in touch. But the thing that stood out to me was when she said "text me."
This made me think, is this going to be the new thing to say? Are people going to go around saying "text me" instead of "call me?" Then I also thought about how many times I've said "Just IM me" or "I'll e-mail you." Texting is a new thing to add to this list although I'm pretty sure I have yet to say it. But I'm wondering, is texting going to take over phone calls, e-mails, and even IM? Has this already started?
Is texting soon going to be the main form of CMC?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That is a good observation. Good movie, by the way. Although it was too sad for me; I wanted a chick flick that would just leave me drooling over Vince Vaughn, rather I cried.
Anyway, I would have to say that I think texting is becoming more and more prevelent. I know that there are times I would much rather text someone than talk to them. I notice this especially when I just want a piece of information. When I call I have to talk and be nice at first and it ends up being a 5 minute conversation just to find out what time I'm going to dinner. I am not sure if it will completely take over communication, but I do see it becoming an even bigger portion of CMC.
Im afraid so Shauna. Well actually, I dont think that it will ever be the main form of CMC but I do beleive it will continue to grow as a form of CMC. Remember that stat that Mr Corso told us at the beginning of the semester about text messenging? A billion or some texts sent everyday? That is insane! However, it is convient and very simple but effective. Im all for it because I agree with Jaime and how its easier to just text than to call someone of you just have a simple question. Especially since I hate talking on the phone.
Post a Comment