So the reason I am writing my blog entry so late is because my password for my blog completely slipped my mind. I tried all afternoon to figure out what it was and finally realized about 5 minutes ago that I wasn't even using the right user name. So after I came to this conclusion, I was able to reset my password and now, here I am. Thank goodness. This whole mix-up is because of the insane amount of usernames and passwords that I have for every other online service. I find the need to change my password for everything I need a password for, although I'm not really sure why. This causes a lot of confusion, as I have just demonstrated. However, even though this has to do with computers, it doesn't really pertain to communication, besides the fact that I didn't think I'd be able to communicate via blogging tonight because of not knowing my username or password. So moving along...
This class has opened my eyes to how much I really do rely on modern forms of communication in everyday life. Actually it has shown me how much the world relies on these forms of communication. It's hard to think that people actually lived without it. I wonder how much different their lives were.
It was funny, (not really), because towards the beginning of when this class started, my cell phone snapped in half so I did not have a cell phone for 2 1/2 weeks. I got a little taste of what it was like to live without that one form of modern communication. Thankfully I am now, as of last Tuesday, using a friends old one until it is time to renew my plan. Those 2 1/2 weeks showed me how much I relied on this modern technology and how much I relied even more on e-mail, instant messenger, and facebook messaging as my main forms of communication due to the lack of a cell phone. Instead of calling my friends on campus about what time we were going to go to dinner or hang out, we had to make plans the day before or if I saw them earlier in the day, Instant message them or just show up at their room in hopes that they were there.
Also, my boyfriend and I broke up the same day that my phone broke (My phone did not break as a result of me throwing it at him, just wanted to clarify), so I wasn't able to call my mom, or my best friends from home as often as I would have liked. Although I was able to call a few times using other peoples cellphones, I relied on e-mails and instant messenger mostly to complain and receive comfort from them. I think I also became closer in a way to my friends here because, instead of hanging on the phone with my friends from home, I went into college friends rooms, ate their food, and talked to them. It is so much easier to talk about what is going on then to type it all down, at least for me. But obviously, as we have read, some people think differently and would much prefer typing than talking.
And that is the end of my first real post. 11 minutes over. Oh no...Hopefully This will teach me to remember my usernames and passwords.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Everytime I create a new account or change my password....I tell myself I am going to remember it this time and so I have no need to write it down. But of course you can finish the story and know I always forget. This whole world of CMC kind of spoils it for us though...because vicariously I was thinking that if I do forget a name or password, most of the time there is a way to recover it just like you did. It seems like the downfalls of today's technology leads us to other forms of technology and we just fall into deeper holes being buried under a mound of passwords. I guess it's safe to say all of the passwords are a good thing to keep your personal technology private....because the internet really can take advantage of you and your personal life. I hope this makes sense
I completely understand your password frustration. I've just started using the same password for everything at this point in my life. I can imagine your frustration of not having a cell phone for two and a half weeks, also. When I first got to school last year, my service provider did not have much coverage, so when I wanted to call home, I had to use a phone card and my room phone. This made me frustrated if I thought of something to call my parents about during the day when I wasn't in my room. I agree that I would rather talk than type to people, but little things like phones and IM sure do make life simple when you just want to communicate real quick to someone. I'm glad to hear you're back to normal with your communicating!
I just need to log into my account and it's not working when I go to blogger. I figured this was an appropriate blog to try to log into!
Post a Comment